Stats from Deloitte’s 2018 China Mobile Consumer Survey shine a little light on how Chinese users prefer to communicate. This comparison looks at the frequency with which Chinese and global users engage with mobile communication channels:
- Chinese users are 29% more likely to to use social media once a day
- They’re 25% more inclined to communicate via video chat
- They’re not so into email, checking it daily 22% less than users globally
Why it matters
This is a strong reminder to foreign firms not to use email as the primary channel for communicating with a Chinese audience:
- The effectiveness of email newsletters may be drastically lower than expected
- Email-only customer service channels are unlikely to be well-received.
Deloitte China’s 《2018中国移动消费者调研》(China Mobile Consumer Survey 2018), published January 23, 2019.