Douyin, the Chinese short-video sharing app by ByteDance, released its 2019 Chinese New Years’ big data this week.
Researchers noted a 43% uptick in group videos – videos featuring more than one person – over the holiday season, and tracked the three most popular family holiday video themes:
- Children asking parents and family members for traditional new years’ money in creative or amusing ways
- Families dancing together
- Moms rousting adult children out of bed to eat
ByteDance also noted an 81% uptick in the number of videos shot by users over 40, and a 66% uptick in users over 40 participating in topical video challenges as set by the app.
Why it matters
- China’s chunyun, the travel season surrounding the Chinese New Years holiday, is the largest annual human migration in the world. As young people return to their hometowns from large urban areas, they introduce new apps and communication mediums to users of older generations, driving app adoption into new user markets.
- Repeating holiday themes give us some insight into which moments Chinese users see as most representational of a Home-for-the-Holidays experience.
- 2019抖音春节大数据报告 (2019 Douyin Spring Festival Big Data Report)